Header Ads

Liquor company CEO identified as man who fell to his death at Citi Field

 A liquor company CEO has been identified as the man who was allegedly high on acid when he plummeted to his death at Citi Field, police said.

Ian Matthew Crystal died Friday after falling 30 to 50 feet during intermission at the Dead & Company show, an NYPD spokesman confirmed Monday.

The 46-year-old Brooklyn resident was a co-founder of the New York-based Evolution Spirits, according to his LinkedIn page.

Sources said Crystal allegedly took acid before the fatal plunge and had been drinking and smoking pot beforehand.

The late entrepreneur served as CEO of Evolution Spirits, the creator of Monkey Rum from Trinidad that’s available in 11 states. The liquor was developed out of a challenge in 2014 to create a new brand to support the National Geographic Channel show “Chug,” according to Crystal’s LinkedIn profile.

Decades earlier, Crystal won a high school advertising competition in Florida, where he created a promotional video to sell orange juice.

“This started my career marketing beverages and I never looked back,” he said, adding that he later went on to manage brands including ABSOLUT Vodka, Malibu Rum and Stoli Vodka.

Crystal’s sister, Lara, wrote that her brother was “Forever young and endlessly loved,” and “an inspiration” in a heartbreaking post on her Instagram Monday.

“It’s hard to describe the gaping hole we all feel without you here. Your passion for life and genuine happiness for others was unmatched,” she wrote.

“You were an inspiration to so many in the way you lived every day to the fullest and brought happiness to everyone around you. You made friends everywhere you went, and your spirit will live on in the lives of so many you touched.”

Photos in the post show Crystal posing with his family, friends, and a video of him singing along to “Take on Me” by A-ha while driving.

“You were an incredible brother, son, stepson, dog father, grandson, uncle, friend, ping pong opponent, confidant, marathoner, entrepreneur, innovator, and so much more. You lived an incredible life in such a short time – travels around the world, courtside with Spike, an all nighter in the studio with Jay-Z – but most importantly you always had time and gave your all to your family and so many friends.

“You made everything better just by being there. I will miss you more than you could possibly know and I will try to honor your memory every day. I love you.”

Laura Birnbaum, 32, told The Post on Monday she formerly worked as a sales and marketing coordinator for Crystal, who was known to think big, she said.

“Ian was my boss, I hadn’t known that he had passed away,” Birnbaum said. “I’m still in a little bit of shock.”

Crystal had a beloved Rhodesian Ridgeback named Beatrice who was a company mascot of sorts.

“I was with him when he got her and she was part of the team as a puppy,” Birnbaum said. “She squeezed in there with the rest of us.”

Birnbaum last worked for Crystal in 2016 or 2017, but the pair had kept in touch, she said.

“He was definitely a people person,” Crystal’s former employee said. “He had big ideas and there were no limits to the ideas he had. It was all about taking a good idea and how to make it happen while thinking big.”

Crystal “enjoyed having a good time,” but Birnbaum said she had never witnessed him partying to excess or seen him take hard drugs.

“I knew him pretty well,” Birnbaum continued. “[I’m] very shocked. He had so many things that he wanted to do and it’s sad that his life came to an end while he was so young. I know he had so many aspirations. We lost a good one.”

Crystal had also worked from 1998 through 2000 as an account director at News America Marketing, a former subsidiary of News Corp. Prior to that, he worked as an intern at Fox News Channel starting in 1996, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Another friend, meanwhile, referred to Crystal as “The Rooster” in a Facebook tribute.

“One of ones who was always down for the next adventure or for a long conversation that could go deep or off the rails in the best way,” pal Neal Weinstein wrote. “Left a long list of people that will miss you. Glad to have known you buddy.”

Crystal, who jumped from a second-floor concourse, was pronounced dead at New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Queens, police and fans at the show told The news.

“I heard people going ‘ahhh’ and see people running,” one concertgoer said Friday. “I said, ‘Bro, someone took a f—king header.’”

A driver outside the stadium said he saw the man later identified as Crystal “flip” before falling and slamming into the ground below.

Investigators found no signs of criminality.

Powered by Blogger.