Header Ads

Schneiderman to investigate Bronx man's death by NYPD cop's Taser

State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s office said Saturday it will investigate the death of a 49-year-old Bronx man killed after police used a stun gun to subdue him. Members of state Attorney General’s Special Investigations and Prosecutions Unit will examine the case under a 2015 executive order by Gov. Cuomo, Schneiderman spokeswoman Amy Spitalnick said. Ariel Galarza was Tasered twice by NYPD Sgt. William Melrose, a 13-year veteran, Wednesday as Galarza menaced him with an unbroken bottle, police said. A neighbor had called 911 claiming Galarza threatened her with a knife. Galarza went into cardiac arrest but cops were able to revive him with CPR, officials said. He was rushed to Einstein Hospital, where he died. Under the executive order from Gov. Cuomo, Schneiderman has the power to investigate shootings of civilians by cops. But Schneiderman’s office can’t claim jurisdiction over a local district attorney if the civilian was considered armed and dangerous. Cops have identified the 49-year-old man who died after an NYPD sergeant shocked him twice with a stun gun in a Bronx apartment Wednesday, November 2, 2016. Police responded to the home of Ariel Galarza (pictured) on Mayflower Ave. near St. Theresa Ave. in Pelham Bay about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday after someone reported he was armed with a knife and appeared emotionally disturbed. . A source close to the case said that investigators found Galarza wasn’t particularly close to the cops and the unbroken bottle of hot sauce he was holding wasn’t necessarily a threat to officers, paving the way for Schneiderman’s office to take the case. "That is the best news," Galarza's sister Mildred Galarza told the Daily News. "He was the best brother in the whole world." While Schneiderman determined his office has jurisdiction, it doesn’t mean that the investigation will lead to charges, a source said. Melrose, assigned to the 45th Precinct in the Bronx, remains on full duty. “The NYPD will cooperate with any official investigation into this matter,” a police spokesman said.
Powered by Blogger.